One of the most important things you can do in your home is have a working smoke detector. According to the National Fire Protection Association 60% of fire fatalities took place in a home without a working smoke detector. And having a working smoke detector cuts your risk of dying in your home due to fire by 50%. If your building a new home, hard wired smoke detectors are the best way to go. If not hard wired, there are smoke detectors available with 10 year batteries that don’t require new batteries every year. Even if you have an older version, keeping the batteries changed and testing them every 6 months can save your life!
Redings Mill Fire District is committed to providing smoke detectors to residences in our fire district that may not be able to afford them. If you are a resident of the fire district and are interested in a new smoke detector please contact Deputy Chief Ronnie Metcalf using the link below.